New and restored Oamaru stone and Timaru bluestone parapets were reconstructed as part of the refurbishment.
P & D Duncan
Originally built in 1903-4, the P & D Duncan Building in central Christchurch is a Historic Place, Category 2 listed, three storey building.
Commissioned by P & D Duncan Limited, one of New Zealand’s leading early foundries and engineering works, the building has historical and social significance as a rare reminder of the heavy industry formerly in this area of the city.
The building suffered significant damage in the 2010 and 2011 Canterbury earthquakes. The heritage restoration was conducted in accordance with ICOMOS guidance and professional standards of conservation. The design and building work involved extensive deconstruction and restoration of the original brick and stone façades, new roofing, earthquake repairs and seismic strengthening.