The Privacy Act 2020 controls how ‘agencies’ collect, use, disclose, store and give access to “personal information” and applies to almost every person, business or organisation in New Zealand.
Updated August 2023.
By using our Websites and/or providing Personal Information to us by other means, you confirm that you unconditionally agree to the terms of this Policy to the extent that your consent is required by any applicable law.
Privacy Rights at Law
This policy does not limit or exclude any of your rights under the Act. If you wish to seek further information on the Act, see www.privacy.org.nz.
Changes to Policy Terms
We may update or revise the terms of this Policy without notice by uploading a revised Policy version to our Website. By continuing to access or use our Website after an updated version of this Policy has been posted you unconditionally agree to those updated terms.
Means www.www.jtbarchitects.co.nz (including any sub-domain).
How we collect your Personal Information
How is it collected
We will only collect your Personal Information from:
- (a) You directly: when you elect to provide that Personal Information to us; or
- (b) Automatically: if it is provided by your computer or other device when accessing the Website;
- (c) Third parties: where you have authorised this or your Personal Information is publicly available.
If your computer automatically or manually provides Personal Information when accessing the Website, this may include Personal Information:
- (a) that is automatically provided by your browser to the servers that support our Websites;
- (b) about your browsing and interactions with our Websites and the various pages viewed within;
- (c) that we capture or place on your computer or generate using cookies or like technologies; and
- (d) that you input into forms and fields on our website.
Types of Personal Information we collect
What we collect
We only collect Personal Information that is reasonably required for operating, administering, improving and maintaining our Websites, such as:
- (a) Any correspondence, messaging or like communication from you to us via the Websites or otherwise.
- (b) Information about your use and browsing of our Websites (unless your computer blocks this), such as your:
- (i) IP address (unique identifier allocated to your computer when connecting to the internet);
- (ii) computer device details (PC, tablet, smartphone, watch etc); and the make and version of the web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, Opera, Chrome) you are using;
- (iii) operating system (e.g. Windows, Windows Phone, OSX, iOS, Android, Linux etc);
- (iv) time-zone; browser plug-ins; any web-page that you have come from, identified as the referrer web page address by your web browser; cookies; page response times; download error; pages and parts of pages they visit; and
- (v) usage of our website, including enquiries and searches undertaken, and registrations for accounts, forums etc; services and products viewed; length of visit to website and pages; page interaction information (e.g. scrolling, keys pressed, mouse clicks, touches, and mouse-overs).
How we may use your Personal Information
How we use it
We use your Personal Information to the extent reasonably required to:
- (a) Market our Services to you, including by contacting you electronically, provided that we are authorised to do so;
- (b) Operate, deliver administer, maintain, manage and/or improve the Website and any Services marketed via the Website.
- (c) Respond to any communication or queries you have.
- (d) Maintain any records that are reasonably required as part of running and managing the Website.
- (e) For any applicable legal purpose such as to protecting and/or enforcing our legal rights and interests, including defending any claim.
How we disclose or share your Personal Information
Who we may disclose to
We will not disclose your Personal Information unless it is absolutely necessary and legally permitted, but we may disclose your Personal Information to:
- (a) another company within our group;
- (b) any business that supports our business including any person that hosts or maintains any underlying IT system or data centre that we use to provide the Websites;
- (c) other third parties for anonymised statistical information;
- (d) any person or organisation where we are required to do so by law;
- (e) any other person authorised by the Act or another law, such as the Police or other duly authorised entity;
- (f) any other person authorised by you;
- (g) debt collection agencies if we need to collect money you owe to us;
Storage outside New Zealand
A business that supports our services and products may be located outside New Zealand. This may mean your personal information is held and processed outside New Zealand. We will only elect to use such support where their data protection is of a standard that will comply with New Zealand’s privacy law requirements.
Web service providers
Where doing so is permitted by any applicable law, we may use certain limited Personal Information, such as your email address, to hash it and to share it with social media platforms, such as Facebook or Google, to generate leads, drive traffic to our Websites or otherwise promote our Services or the Websites. These processing activities are based on our legitimate interest in undertaking marketing activities to offer you products or services that may be of interest to you.
Protecting, accessing and correcting your Personal Information
We are committed to taking all reasonably practicable steps to keep any Personal Information held by us safe and secure. For this reason, we have put in place appropriate measures to guard against unauthorised or unlawful processing, accidental loss or destruction/damage to your Personal Information.
Your rights of access
Subject to certain grounds for refusal set out in the Act you have the right to access readily retrievable Personal Information that we hold and to request a correction to the same. We will, however, need evidence to confirm that you are the individual to whom the Personal Information relates before we agree to provide or correct any such Personal Information.
Correction of Personal Information
You have the right to request that we correct any of your Personal Information that we hold. If we think the correction is reasonable and we are reasonably able to change the Personal Information, we will make the correction. If we do not make the correction, we will take reasonable steps to note on the Personal Information that you requested the correction. We will take all reasonable steps to flow a correction through to any third party Provider or supplier.
If you want to exercise either of the above rights please email or contact us at email@example.com
While we take all reasonably practicable steps to maintain secure internet connections, if you provide us with Personal Information over the internet you are doing so at your own risk.
We provide links to third party websites and some third parties to display widgets and applications on our Website that allow you to interact and share content including social media buttons such as Facebook share and like, Twitter, Pinterest and Google+. These linked sites, applications and widgets are not under our control, and we cannot accept responsibility for the conduct of companies linked to the Website, or their collection of information through these third-party applications or widgets.
Third Party Privacy Policies
This Policy is subject to the law of New Zealand.