P & D DUNCAN BUILDING
CLIENT: P & D DUNCAN BODY CORPORATE | COMPLETED: 2019 | PROJECT MANAGER: SIDERA CONSULTING | STRUCTURAL ENGINEER: CENTRAUS | FIRE ENGINEER: PRENDOS | LOSS ADJUSTOR: SEDGWICK | CONTRACTOR: SIDERA CONSTRUCTION | BRICK AND STONE MASONS: STONE WORKS
The P & D Duncan Building in Central Christchurch is a Historic Place, Category 2 listed, three storeyed brick building. It was constructed in 1903-4 for P. & D. Duncan Limited, one of New Zealand’s leading early foundries and engineering works, and has historical and social significance as a rare reminder of the heavy industry formerly in this area of the city.
The building suffered significant damage in the 2010 and 2011 Canterbury earthquakes. The repairs benefited from a Christchurch City Council Heritage Incentive Grant and a Canterbury Earthquake Heritage Buildings Trust Grant for conservation and maintenance work.
The Heritage restoration was conducted in accordance with ICOMOS guidance and professional standards of conservation. The design and building work involved extensive deconstruction and heritage restoration of the original brick and stone façades, new roofing, earthquake repairs and seismic strengthening.
New and restored Oamaru Stone and Timaru Bluestone parapets were reconstructed, and the building was refurbished inside and out, leaving heritage elements, brickwork, stone, polished concrete and substantial roof trusses visible wherever practicable.